Formerly known as Celebes, Sulawesi, located in East Borneo, is one of the major Indonesian islands. Unlike other famous islands in Indonesia, tourism has not developed strongly in this island. Fortunately, the infrastructure on the island is also moderate and acceptable. There are some airports in Makassar, Manado and Pula that can link to the airports of other Indonesian cities. Although travelers will not find a resort or luxury hotel in Sulawesi as well as the characteristics of a tourist island but the scenery is quite amazing with its spectacular volcanic mountains, rainforests, lakes and vast oceans.
1. Sulawesi tourist destinations
- Makassar: Makassar is the starting point for exploring Sulawesi while traveling to Indonesia. Makassar residents still maintain their traditional way of life, ancient customs and practices, and, of course, cultural tourism. The tourism industry has grown in recent years, unfortunately, which makes that true, pure tradition disappear. In addition, June and August are the time of high season in Makassar so travelers should not visit this site in that time. This city has many interesting sightseeing activities for tourists to experience, for example, hanging out on the romantic Losari beach or sailing to Pulau Khayangan and Pulau Samalona. Makassar is also the gateway to visitors to the famous Tana Toraja village of Indonesia just 300 km away.
- Tana Toraja Village: Tana Toraja Village is a fascinating destination in Sulawesi thank to the ancient Torajan rituals. Visiting this village, visitors will find that the scenery and atmosphere of the village is still very simple, not affected by the modern development, although it has existed for more than 100 years. The people live in harmony with nature as well as preserve the long tradition of good ancestors. You will not be able to see this unique funeral ceremony anywhere other than Tana Toraja. That’s why the village always attracts crowds of tourists visiting Indonesia.
- Lindu National Park: Lindu National Park is home to many trails, offering travelers an exciting adventure while traveling to Indonesia. You will go deep into the untouched wild forest, observe many species of flora and fauna, for example hornbills, monkeys, snakes, butterflies, etc. Besides, there are many waterfalls, ponds and lakes for tourists to visit and relax.
- Togian Island: Situated in the north of Sulawesi, Togean Island is a secret diving area, therefore, it is very pristine and there is no many divers come to visit. It will take a long time to get to Togian Island, but once you set foot on this land, you will feel attached to wanting to leave such an attractive place. The atmosphere is relaxed, the underwater world is splendid and the island itself is a glittering blue pearl. Without a doubt, Togian is Sulawesi’s pink tourist. Guests will enjoy the vast space themselves; enjoy playing with many strange creatures living under the sea. The romantic sunset on the island is also great for travelers to admire.
- The Tangkoko Nature Reserve: The Tangkoko Nature Reserve is a fascinating place in Sulawesi for its impressive Tarsier dwarf monkeys. It is the smallest primates in the world. Besides, the reserve also has more than 9,000 hectares of land, which will be the ideal habitat for many different wildlife species. Visitors also have the opportunity to see the rare black monkey only live in the northern region of Sulawesi.
2. Diving- an interesting activities travelers should not miss out when traveling Sulawesi.
Beautiful beaches stretching along the soft curve of the coastline, warm blue waters have made the island a great diving and snorkeling spot. Especially in North Sulawesi there are many ideal diving locations. The center of Northern Sulawesi – Manado – is a perfect starting point for traveling here. Although Manado does not have many interesting destinations, the city owns good restaurants and cheap hotels. From here, you can go to Bunaken Island – the name on the list of interesting diving spots in Indonesia.
Being one of the main islands of the country, Sulawesi is very valuable for tourists to explore during their trip to Indonesia. Choosing Sulawesi will be a great choice for Indonesia trip.